Civic Health Course
The Vot-ER Civic Health Course is designed for nurses, physicians, medical students, social workers, and other health professionals who want to make a bigger impact in their communities. If you've always wanted to knock down the walls between healthcare and civic engagement, this is the course for you!
Learn how to integrate voter access into your healthcare institution and leverage community organizing as a tool to address the political determinants of health.
Applications for the 2022 Civic Health Course are now closed.
Here's what past participants, guest lecturers, and faculty have said about the course:
Classes meet online twice a month on weekday evenings from April to October 2022
The total time commitment is 5-10 hours per month, including attending lectures, small group work, and collaborating on team projects.
Course fees are based on a sliding scale. The discounted rate for healthcare professionals who’ve used Vot-ER tools or attended our programs is noted in parentheses.
Medical, nursing, or social work student: $100 ($50)
Social workers nurses, residents, and interns: $200 ($100)
Physician assistants: $500 ($250)
Attending physicians: $1000 ($500)
Financial Aid: Most of the program costs are covered by our generous sponsors - the course fees listed above cover the remaining portion. Last year we didn't turn anyone away because of the cost, and we expect that everyone who needs help will receive an appropriate discount. If you need financial assistance, please apply and select the "Financial Assistance" option on the application.
We've heard from past students (or "fellows," as we call them) that this course has connected them to the community of like-minded healthcare professionals that they've long sought.
Plus, you'll leave the course with:
- Deeper knowledge of health disparities and medical racism—and how we can fight against it in our daily work
- Insights into what obstacles affect voter engagement and how to address them
- Practical community organizing skills to mobilize colleagues and leaders at your institution or school
- Lots of laughs, inside jokes, and most importantly: a network of passionate, like-minded healthcare professionals who, like you, are committed to making a bigger impact in their community.
All healthcare professionals are eligible, including:
- Medical, nursing, or social work students
- Interns and residents
- Social Workers
- Physician Assistants
- Public health or community health workers
Nope! Just come ready to learn and collaborate.
You can indicate on your application that you need financial assistance. If you have additional questions about financial assistance, please email Leah Ford, Vot-ER Organizing Director, at email@example.com