As an organization with a vision focused on an inclusive American democracy, we aim to reflect that standard in our own organization as well. Vot-ER has a strong commitment to diversity and especially encourages people who are historically underrepresented in healthcare and civic engagement to apply.
In addition to an unwavering commitment to building a multicultural & healthy democracy, Vot-ER team members exhibit the following characteristics:
- They MOBILIZE: They seize on opportunities to bring new health care professionals and organizations into our work.
- They ORGANIZE: They help develop teammates and volunteers into effective leaders.
- They DELIGHT: They make the work as easy and delightful as possible for everyone they interact with.
- They COLLABORATE: They explore the intersections of their role with those of others in the organization.
While our work is challenging and urgent, we also laugh heartily, celebrate our wins with ridiculous traditions, and build deep friendships with one another along the journey.
Graduate or Undergraduate Internship [Remote]
Summer, Fall, Spring, or Year-Round
Launched in 2020, Vot-ER has scaled rapidly last year, now with 25,000 participating healthcare providers, over 300 hospitals, and a range of other partners. Now, the context we face is completely different. Our work in 2022 will lay the groundwork for what Vot-ER looks like for years to come.
Vot-ER has a robust internship program that helps undergraduates meet leaders in the fields of democracy and health, work with strong mentors, and build new skills. Note that this is a remote internship for undergraduate students.
You have one (or more) of the following superpowers:
- Project management and coordinating complex logistics
- Data analysis or software development
- Graphic design or turning complicated topics into visual representations
- Helping people and communities build plans and turn them into power
- Writing for a range of audiences
How you enjoy showing up:
- Your professional goals or personal experiences have a strong link to either health, democracy, behavioral economics, policy, or politics (or more than one of these areas)
- You are self-directed and take initiative to find places where you can improve our work
- You enjoy being a part of a diverse team that has a strong sense of community
- You enjoy the fast pace of an innovative startup
- You are well-organized and respond in a timely manner on email, Slack, and text
Email Vot-ER’s Acting Executive Director Aliya at email@example.com using the subject line “Undergraduate Internship” with a work sample or project of your choice, a resume, and a response to the following two questions:
- Share a description of a project you particularly enjoyed working on. Please be sure to provide detail of the context, your role, the broader team, and why you enjoyed it.
- Why are you interested in working with VotER?
For full-time summer interns or for students taking gap semesters, gap years, or participating in co-op programs, we pay $2500/month with an expectation of about 35-40 hours of work per week. For part-time interns, we pay $1000/month with the expectation of 10-15 hours of work per week. We welcome interns to seek financial support from their institutions when that is available.
Civic Health Ambassadors
Summer, Fall, Spring, or Year-Round
Over the past 3 years, Vot-ER, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has integrated civic engagement into healthcare by developing nonpartisan civic engagement tools and programs for every corner of the healthcare system—from private practice to medical schools to hospitals. We are looking for pre-health students to help us change the culture of medicine.
With Civic Health Month running through August and the start of school around the corner, we are looking for pre-health students to join our inaugural Civic Health Ambassador volunteer program. Students will receive the tools and training to expand civic health efforts in their community alongside health care professionals and fellow pre-health students.
If you are interested in joining health care professionals across the country in this work, please apply here by August 1: https://forms.vot-er.org/cha. All submissions after August 1st will be handled on a rolling basis.
Don't see a role that fits you?
Don't see a role that fits you, but interested in volunteering or working with us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Getting involved in Vot-ER" and some details, and they will get back to you as soon as they can.